Avalon Building Systems is proud to have, over the years, built and delivered custom modular homes to the fine people of the Massachusetts and New England area. Over the course of our custom home building history, we have compiled a list of the most common regrets that new homeowners have about what they should have done within their custom design.
Now, we are skilled, prepared, and ready to build your custom modular home to your exact specification, however, some of our proudest moments come when our customers proclaim, “Wow, we never thought of that”! That is what you can and should expect from your home builder.
The things listed below are just some of the things that we will discuss with you. Many are things that our client’s failure to attain from other builders who failed to deliver these things. Anyway, just a few things to consider and seek in your next home:
- Build floor joists at 12-in. on center versus the traditional 16-in. The stability of the floor and the feeling of structural rigidity are simple things and overlooked by most people. The additional cost is fairly small, but well worth it!
- Nine-foot ceiling heights. The feeling of expansiveness is great and the additional cost is value-based.
- Comfort height commodes. Size does matter and a few inches in height contributes to your comfort greatly, hence the term comfort height.
- Upgraded door hardware and solid core doors. Again hollow core doors work just as well, but can't compare in imparting a feeling of quality.
- Using a quiet floor system and gluing the wood flooring in place wherever possible.
- Staggered 42-in. kitchen cabinetry.
- Utilize 18-in. floor tile if space allows. Again, it is a small thing, and more difficult to install, but it's something you see up close each and every day. So prioritize quality here.
- Upgrade the windows as nothing cheapens a house as skimping with cheap windows.
- 2-in. x 6-in. exterior framing. The energy savings created by the increased insulation cavity will pay for itself in no time.
- Ample high hat recessed lighting. Again, the showcase type effect is great and additional cost is minimal at construction.
- Energy Star, Green, or LEEDS Certification... The energy savings are utterly amazing.
Again, these are just a few tips on where to prioritize your new home budget. When it comes for to build your customized dream home, contact us here at Avalon Building Systems.